Delaying Metadata Manager Sunset Date

In May, we said we’d sunset Metadata Manager at the end of 2021, in favor of a new content registration interface. The announcement generated lots of great feedback on this post on the Community Forum, about what members see as their greatest needs and pain points with regard to content registration. The feedback from the community has been extremely useful in helping us design a tool that makes content registration a smoother process.

I’m pleased to say we’re making good progress on the new tool, but disappointed to share that it’s not quite ready for prime time. As a result, we’ll delay the sunsetting of Metadata Manager until 6 months after the release of the new tool. This will give us enough time to roll out support for journal articles on the new tool before closing Metadata Manager, and give users time to transition. In the interim, in order to keep our resources focused on the new tool and deliver it as quickly as possible, we will not be adding to, supporting, or bug-fixing other content registration tools.

You can expect to see the new tool in production in the first half of 2022, with support for grant DOI registration. Support for journal articles will follow next. You can keep track of the (admittedly technical) progress on Gitlab or on our roadmap. We continue to welcome feedback on content registration tools in the Community Forum post.

5 Likes

I have a question. Will you will be transferring all our meta data from Meta Manager across to this new tool or at least provide us a means of doing this painlessly? Thanks

1 Like

Delay in sunset of Metadata Manager will help much to the users. I hope new interface will be very easy for transition of the journals’ metadata.

@sbowman I am eager to test (beta testing) this new tool if you give me an opportunity!!

What’s the name of new tool?

Thank you.

1 Like

@sbowman
I am sorry but Metadata Manager login page is showing that “Metadata Manager is being sunset at the end of 2021”.

I request to check it.

Doc1.docx (816.2 KB)

@sbowman,

I read “Metadata Manager is being sunset in 2022. Read our blog post to learn more.” from the login page of Metadata Manager. Is there any guideline/information regarding new tool? I am eager for beta testing of the new tool.

Thanks.

Hi @Anjum! We will be delaying the sunset of Metadata Manager until a new tool supporting journal articles is available.

We have released a user interface for registering grant DOIs, which you can see now at beta.crossref.org/records (production environment - for registering grant DOIs) or sandbox.crossref.org/records (test environment - use your credentials for test.crossref.org. Get in touch if you don’t have these). We’re collecting feedback via the Feedback widget on those sites. We will expand this interface to support journal articles and other content types in the future, and we will be looking for beta testers for those content types when the work gets a little further along. In the meantime, you’re welcome to click around on the grants interface to get a feel for it and submit any feedback via the widget on the bottom right of the screen.

Thanks for the note, and please let me know if you have any questions!

2 Likes

@sbowman,

Thank you for the information.

1 Like

Hi @sbowman,

when will the new user interface be expanded to support additional content types? Is there a timetable?
And which content types will be realized next?

Thanks

Hi @christian - I don’t have a firm timeline on expanded content types yet, but it will be later this year. The next type we plan to support is journals/articles.

3 Likes

@showman,

I am eager for beta testing of new interface.

1 Like

@sbowman As another year draws to a close, is there any news what happens regarding the Metadata Manager and its replacement?

Hi there,
Sara’s out on family leave at the moment, but we’ll have news about a replacement (and something for you to test) in Q1 next year. We’ll share the details in this thread when we do.

1 Like

@rlammey Thank you for the update!

Will the Metadata Manager be sent into ‘retirement’ before the replacement is out of the testing phase?

Apologies, I should have clarified - we’ll keep MM until we have something that is a production service, rather than a test version.

1 Like