Questions on XML for book chapter registration

To create correct chapter registration XML I am have some questions:

• is a chapter automatically registered if it appears in a book registration as a content item given it has a doi_data composite?
  • if so it that the only way to register chapters via xml/json file upload?
  • if so, do I have to send ALL chapters at once with the book or can I send each chapter in a block repeating the book metadata each time?
  • if so, the book metadata would be updated each time I register or update a chapter? Hence the book metadata has to be complete with each chapter registration?
  • alternatively is there another format to register single chapters with a link to the book but without repeating all the book metadata?

We have chapters to register but in many cases we not want ALL chapters from a book registered but only some. What is the best approach to achieve this?

Thanks
Herbert

Hi Herbert,

Thanks for your questions.

• is a chapter automatically registered if it appears in a book registration as a content item given it has a doi_data composite?

Yes, <content_item> contains the metadata for a given chapter along with its DOI and resolution URL which are nested inside its <doi_data> element.

• if so it that the only way to register chapters via xml/json file upload?

XML metadata deposits are the only way to register any content, regardless of its type. We don’t support metadata deposits in JSON.

However, if you’re unable to create XML in the required format, you can use our Web Deposit Form to manually enter the metadata. The form will transform the metadata you enter into Crossref XML and automatically submit it.

Broadly speaking, to register a DOI for a book on the web deposit form, use the following steps:

1. Select the Book data type
  2. Enter the Book-level on the first page of the form. At minimum this includes Book type, title, DOI, URL, Publisher, ISBN, and at least one (print or online) publication year
  3. Select ‘Add Chapters’
  4. On the second page of the form, enter the metadata for your first chapter (chapter title, authors, page numbers if available), the chapter DOI URL
  5. Click ‘Add Another Chapter’
  6. Continue to enter article metadata, DOIs, and URLs until you’ve entered all chapters for the given book.
  7. Click ‘Finish’
  8. Enter your username and password and click Login
  9. Enter your email address and click ‘Deposit’

If you don’t want to register a separate DOI for each book chapter, you can skip steps 3 through 6.

We also have a web deposit form video tutorial and full instructions for using the web deposit form in our documentation.

• if so, do I have to send ALL chapters at once with the book or can I send each chapter in a block repeating the book metadata each time?

Either way is fine. But you’re correct that the book-level metadata does need to be included in every deposit for a chapter or chapters.

• alternatively is there another format to register single chapters with a link to the book but without repeating all the book metadata?

Unfortunately, no. The book and its chapters have a parent-child relationship in our schema, so the book-level metadata is required.

We have chapters to register but in many cases we not want ALL chapters from a book registered but only some. What is the best approach to achieve this?

That’s uncommon, but not prohibited. You can just submit the metadata for the chapters that you wish to register.

I hope that all helps clarify things! Let us know if you have further questions.

-Shayn

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this is useful keep it up.