First time using Crossref to generate DOI - need help

Hello,

I’m trying for the first time to generate a DOI for a paper via Crossref and I’ve gone through the tutorials, but nothing was helpful for my specific situation so far. I uploaded the paper as a PDF file in: Submissions → Upload. It now appears in: Submission-> Administration with a little E (Error) sign. How can I fix that and when and how do I get the DOI and URL. We have a paid membership but no telephone number and customer support doesn’t reply back so far. I hope somebody can help!

Many Thanks!

Hello,

Many thanks for your post.

The system would not accept a PDF upload as something that would register DOIs with us.

If you are new to depositing content to us then to deposit DOIs with Crossref, you must submit metadata and DOI information to our system, using one of our tools or XML files.

Here is a great page in our education docs that helps you choose on a registration method available: https://0-www-crossref-org.pugwash.lib.warwick.ac.uk/documentation/register-maintain-records/choose-content-registration-method/

It also has links to the registration methods and all of their documentation that is needed to get started.

We also have a web deposit form video tutorial and full instructions for using the web deposit form in our curriculum.

I hope this helps and if you have any further question or queries on this then please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Many thanks,
Paul

1 Like

Dear Paul,

thank you so much for you help and your quick reply!
I Managed to fill out most of the webDeposit to receive a xml file. Unfortunatley I need a DOI and URL in order to submit the webDeposit form. I read about how to generate a suffix, but I’m unaware how I would be able to receive the full DOI and URL. Or do we need to upload the paper to our website and use that URL? I hope you can help me again! I’m really grateful!
Thanks and kind regards.
Teresa

Hello,

I’m trying for the first time to generate a DOI for a paper via Crossref and I’ve gone through the tutorials, but nothing was helpful for my specific situation so far. I uploaded the paper as a PDF file in: Submissions → Upload. It now appears in: Submission-> Administration with a little E (Error) sign. How can I fix that and when and how do I get the DOI and URL.

1 Like

Hi @satyabratkar1984 ,

Thanks for your message, and welcome to the Community Forum. That little E, like you have suggested, means there is an error with your submission. That error is why your DOI has not been registered. Can you either provide me with the submission ID that is returning that little E error, your DOI prefix, or your Crossref username so I can investigate the cause of the error?

-Isaac