Update Record Type

Hello everyone!
By mistake I selected “Journal” instead of “Conference Proceedings”. All 59 items were registered incorrectly. How can I update the record type without losing the DOI number?

Hi Bernardo,

Thanks for your question.

You’ll need to resubmit the metadata for those same 59 items as conference papers articles, rather than as journal articles.

You can update the metadata record for any registered DOI as needed. If you submit new metadata, it will entirely overwrite the previously-submitted metadata.

Broadly speaking, to register a DOI for a conference proceeding on the web deposit form, use the following steps:

1. Select the Conference Proceedings data type
  2. Enter the Conference-level metadata on the first page of the form. At minimum this includes Conference title, Proceedings title, Publisher, ISBN, and at least one (print or online) publication year
  3. Select ‘Add Papers’
  4. On the second page of the form, enter the metadata for the first paper in the proceedings (paper title, authors, at least one publication date), and the paper’s DOI and URL
  5. Click ‘Add Another Paper’
  6. Continue to enter article metadata, DOIs, and URLs until you’ve entered all chapters for the given proceedings, or as many as you wish to do in a given session.
  7. Click ‘Finish’
  8. Enter your username and password and click Login
  9. Enter your email address and click ‘Deposit’

We also have a web deposit form video tutorial and full instructions for using the web deposit form in our documentation.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Shayn

2 Likes

Thanks Shayn! I was thinking about using the xml interface. If so, what tags should I use to update the record type?

To change content types, you would have to almost recreate the deposit in its entirety. The supported metadata tags (and the order in which they appear) vary quite a bit between one content type and another.

I would not recommend trying to manually edit the xml in this case.

If it were a very small change, like a typo that you needed to correct, or something like that, it can be fine to open the xml file up in a text editor make the correction, update the timestamp value, and then manually upload the edited file.

But, in this case, it’s essentially no easier than starting from scratch. And, in general, xml should be generated programatically.

2 Likes

Hey, Shayn!
Thanks for your help earlier! I attempted to submit the papers, but I received the message, “All prefixes in a submission must match (DOI[1]: has a different prefix than first records DOI: {2}). Even though I used the same DOI number.” I’m not sure what to do and could use some further assistance if possible.
Thank you again for your time and consideration.

Hi Bernardo,

Could you please email us at support@crossref.org with the submission ID number for the deposit that got that error?

Thanks,
Shayn

1 Like